1. Sieve the sugar and add a little lemon rind.
2. Put the butter in a warm basin, beat until light.
3. Add the flavoured sugar and beat again.
4. Beat in the egg, stir in the flour and milk, beat well.
5. Bake in 2 prepared sandwich tins for 25 minutes in a moderate oven.
6. When firm turn out and leave to cool.
7. Whip and sweeten the cream with a little sugar.
8. Husk the strawberries and slice them with a knife.
9. Spread a layer of cream on one cake and a layer of strawberries on top.
10. Place the other cake over these.
11. Spread the rest of the cream and fruit and a few whole or halved strawberries.