Michelle Evan-Fecci's Blueberry, Citrus & Marzipan Hot Cross Bun Loaf. The Perfect Recipe to Celebrate Easter!
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, yeast, salt, spices, blueberry powder and sugar all together, and make a well in the middle.
- Add the butter and egg to the well, and gradually add the milk and bring all the ingredients together with a large spoon.
- Alternatively, you can mix this in a bowl of a stand mixer.
- Knead mixture until smooth, then pat out to a rough rectangle shape. Scatter blueberries, candied peel and marzipan all over, then knead a little to distribute the fruits, then pop in a large oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel until doubled in size.
- Weigh the dough and divide into four equal pieces. Shape each piece into an oblong shape and place into a lightly greased loaf tin. Cover with a tea towel and leave to prove until it’s just over the rim of the tin.
- Heat oven to 210’fan.
- Mix flour with water in a small bowl until it’s smooth but thick. Pop into a piping bag, snip the end and pipe crosses over each bun.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce temperature to 200’fan and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown, and feels firm to touch. If the top starts to brown too quickly, cover loosely with foil.
- Mix honey with water, then brush all over loaf while it’s still warm. Leave to cool, then slice and eat as it is, or toasted with lashings of butter and lemon curd.